tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 09 07:33:05 2006

Re: [Klingon_Language] (unknown)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

karen bank wrote:
> > How would I write "I'm my own grandfather" , using Klingon?

Alan Anderson:
>{vavnI'} "grandfather"
>{-wI'}   "my (capable of speech)"
>{jIH}    "I, me"
>
>   {vavnI'wI' jIH} "I am my grandfather."
>
>To mirror the "my own" of the English phrase, I would use the topic
>suffix {-'e'}:
>
>   {vavnI'wI''e' jIH} "I am *my grandfather*."

I would have put {-'e'} on the pronoun:

    {vavnI'wI' jIH'e'  "*I* (and no one else) am my grandfather.

We've seen emphasized pronouns:

   lujpu' jIH'e'
   I, and only I, have failed. TKD

   'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'!
   But Captain, that course will take *us* into the [Great] Barrier as
well. ST5

> > I know that's a bit of a silly question, but I've been wondering
> > about this for a while

It's not silly.  I've wondered how to translate "one's own" for some
time.  I could find only two examples of "own" in canon:

   vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'.
   That means the Federation will be sending a rescue ship of its own. ST5

Okrand used {-bej} on the verb and {-Daj} on the object: "Therefore the
Federation will definitely send its rescue ship."

   tlhIngan ngoQmey chavmeH HoH tlhInganpu'.
   Klingons kill for their own purposes. TKW

Here Okrand repeats the noun {tlhIngan} instead of using the pronoun
{-chaj} "their":  "Klingons kill [in order] to achieve Klingon goals."

So with those examples in mind, how would you render the difference between:

   "Kruge killed the traitor with his (i.e. Kruge's) knife."
   "Kruge killed the traitor with his own (i.e. the traitor's) knife."

{tajDaj} "his knife" alone is ambiguous.  One could always repeat the noun
- {Qugh taj} "Kruge's knife" vs. {maghwI' taj} "the traitor's knife" - but
I don't think this captures the irony (or justice?) of the second.  Perhaps
this is less clumsy in Klingon than in English.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level