tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 14:35:29 2006

Re: transitivity

In a message dated 11/7/2006 7:51:27 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Is there canonevidence that Suv can be used to say one person fights
> another, or would you have to say they fight each other?
> Lisa Suv Dan
> Suvchuq Lisa Dan je
> -be''etlh

There is not much canon with {Suv} taking an object.

muSuvbogh DoS vIpoQ
I need a target that fights back.
HQ v8n4p11 (referring to ST5: Scene 48

noH Suv
He/she fights a war KGT 47

may' Suv}
He/she fights a battle  KGT 47

muSuvbogh DoS vIpoQ.
I need a target that fights back.
ST5: TFF; HQ v8n4p11 (modified)

reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH.
I've always wanted to engage a Federation ship.
ST5: TFF; HQ v8n4p12 (modified)

loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv.
Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space
[Star Trek: The Experience]

From these examples, the only attested objects of {Suv} are:
{Duj} ship, {DoS} target, {may'} battle, {noH} war, {novpu'} aliens

I think this is the best example of {A Suv B}:
muSuvbogh DoS vIpoQ.
I need a target that fights back.
[lit.: I require a target that fights me.]

I thought we'd have lots of canon of Klingons fighting Romulans and such, but
I don't see any of that.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level