tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 08:01:12 2006

Re: plurals

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

be''etlh:
> >> Is lom (corpse) a body part or a thing, and would -mey carry the
> >> scattered-about connotation whn applid to it?

Quvar:
> > {lom} definitely is a thing, since body *parts* are only *parts* of a body.
> > --> -Du' does not apply.
> >
> > If I remember correctly, a corpse is dead, so cannot speak:
> > --> -pu' does not apply.
> >
> > ----> -mey is the correct plural suffix for corpses {lommey}.

lay'tel SIvten:
>I remember somewhere ({Hamlet}?) that corpses *do* speak.

>Even though they can no longer speak, the dead are - or were - people, so
>they use {-pu'}:
>
>   Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey.  ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' maq.
>   This yell... serves to warn the other dead that a Klingon warrior
>   is coming. S31

DloraH spoke to Okrand at Praxis Con (May 1998) about this and reported that:

   When someone dies, if you are talking about the "person" they
   get [-wI']; and of course if you are referring to the empty
   shell that is left, it gets a [-wIj].

This is consistent with the idiom {ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'} "when
spirits escape from Gre'thor":

   "Note that the word for "spirit", {qa'}, takes the plural suffix {?pu'},
   which is used for beings capable of using language. Spirits do speak.
   (KGT 117)

Spirits may speak, but their empty shells (corpses) don't, so I would use
{-mey}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons