tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 04:17:33 2006

Re: a question of wildlife and syntax

In a message dated 11/6/2006 8:30:09 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> ja' be''etlh:
> > What is the bird closest to a vulture,...
>
> I'd pick {notqa'}, if only because it's big and black.
>
> > Also, is there any way of forming abstract nouns out of verbs (to
> > die-death,
> > to suffer-suffering, etc.)
>
> That's basically what {-ghach} does, though I usually prefer to think
> of it as making gerunds.

But there's no equivalent of the English suffixes "-ness" or "-ity", e.g.
As ghunchu'wI' pointed out, there are a few words in Klingon with this sort
of abstract quality noun meaning, but it's haphazard and not productive.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level