tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 31 13:21:38 2006

Re: KLBC (adverbials)

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Shane MiQogh <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, basically, the adverb only affects the first
> clause?

I hesitate to declare this a rule, but it appears
that adverbs affect the first verb they come to. It's
hard to slip another adverb
in for the second verb when you're using {-bogh}
but you could do it for some of Voragh's other
suggestions, eg. {tlhoy' Doqqu'mo', loQ vIparHa'.}
"Because (it) is excessively red, I (only) like
it a little."

-- ter'eS

> to 1
>
> ter'eS:
> >Not when you're using it as an adjective. You'd
> have
> >to use the color verb as a predicate: {loQ Doqqu'
> >Dochvetlh} "That thing is a little bit red".

> Or at least 2 clauses.
>
> >That would be one solution, yes. You could also
> >use a relative clause: {loQ Doqqu'bogh Doch
> >vIparHa'} "I like the thing which is a little
> >bit red".
>
> Another solution is two clauses plus {-mo'} "because
> of, due to, since":
>
> loQ Doqqu'mo', vIparHa'.
> Because it is slightly red, I like it.
>
> Doqqu'mo', loQ vIparHa'.
> Because it is red, I like it a little (somewhat).
>
> You can add {neH} "only, merely" to the mix:
>
> loQ Doqqu'mo' neH, vIparHa'.
> Because it is only somewhat red, I like it.
>
> Doqqu'mo', loQ vIparHa' neH.
> Because it is red, I only like it a little
> (somewhat).
>
> and even another {-qu'}:
>
> loQ Doqqu'mo', vIparHa'qu'.
> Because it is slightly red, I really like it.
>
> and a {-be'}"
>
> Doqqu'mo', vIparHa'be'qu'.
> Because it's red, I really don't like it.
>
> and so on...
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons