tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 31 11:07:46 2006

Re: KLBC (adverbials)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane:
> >> So is there a way to make the adverbial stick to 1
> >> verb, but not the other?

ter'eS:
>Not when you're using it as an adjective. You'd have
>to use the color verb as a predicate: {loQ Doqqu'
>Dochvetlh} "That thing is a little bit red".

> >> In other words, 2 seperate sentances....?

Or at least 2 clauses.

>That would be one solution, yes. You could also
>use a relative clause: {loQ Doqqu'bogh Doch
>vIparHa'} "I like the thing which is a little
>bit red".

Another solution is two clauses plus {-mo'} "because of, due to, since":

   loQ Doqqu'mo', vIparHa'.
   Because it is slightly red, I like it.

   Doqqu'mo', loQ vIparHa'.
   Because it is red, I like it a little (somewhat).

You can add {neH} "only, merely" to the mix:

   loQ Doqqu'mo' neH, vIparHa'.
   Because it is only somewhat red, I like it.

   Doqqu'mo', loQ vIparHa' neH.
   Because it is red, I only like it a little (somewhat).

and even another {-qu'}:

   loQ Doqqu'mo', vIparHa'qu'.
   Because it is slightly red, I really like it.

and a {-be'}"

   Doqqu'mo', vIparHa'be'qu'.
   Because it's red, I really don't like it.

and so on...

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons