tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 30 13:30:39 2006

Re: KLBC (adverbials)

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Shane MiQogh <[email protected]> wrote:

> So is there a way to make the adverbial stick to 1
> verb, but not the other?

Not when you're using it as an adjective.  You'd have
to use the color verb as a predicate: {loQ Doqqu'
Dochvetlh} "That thing is a little bit red".

-- ter'eS BG

> Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]>
> wrote:  --- Shane MiQogh wrote:
>
> > So basically, to get a sentance that refers to
> > liking a color a little i would leave out a noun
> and
> > it'd be correct? (I understand now that i can
> refer
> > to a pink object by using a noun, but is the first
> > sentance correct for liking red only a little?
> lol)
>
> No, the other way around. There are no Klingon
> words that refer to colors in the abstract. {Doq} is
> a verb that means "to be red(, etc.)" You can't use
> a verb as the object of another verb ({parHa'} in
> this case). So you can't just refer to "red" in
> Klingon, you have to pair it with a noun, as in
> {Doch Doq} "a red thing". (When I wrote the
> translation "I like red a little", I was only
> addressing the use of {loQ}. I didn't mean to
> imply that the sentence was otherwise correct, and
> went on to address the issue of {Doqqu'} being a
> verb.)
>
> The Klingon mind doesn't seem given to abstractions.
> They don't seem to understand the idea of "color"
> without considering the item that displays that
> color.

Back to archive top level