tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 30 07:22:45 2006

Re: KLBC (adverbials)

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Shane MiQogh <[email protected]> wrote:

> So basically, to get a sentance that refers to
> liking a color a little i would leave out a noun and
> it'd be correct? (I understand now that i can refer
> to a pink object by using a noun, but is the first
> sentance correct for liking red only a little? lol)

No, the other way around.  There are no Klingon
words that refer to colors in the abstract. {Doq} is
a verb that means "to be red(, etc.)" You can't use
a verb as the object of another verb ({parHa'} in
this case). So you can't just refer to "red" in
Klingon, you have to pair it with a noun, as in
{Doch Doq} "a red thing". (When I wrote the
translation "I like red a little", I was only
addressing the use of {loQ}.  I didn't mean to
imply that the sentence was otherwise correct, and
went on to address the issue of {Doqqu'} being a
verb.)

The Klingon mind doesn't seem given to abstractions.
They don't seem to understand the idea of "color"
without considering the item that displays that
color.

-- ter'eS BG

> Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]>
> wrote:  --- Shane MiQogh wrote:
>
> > what if i said "loQ Doqqu' vIparHa'"? What would
> the
> > adverb modify, Doq, par, or both? And does one
> > pronounce both q in Doqqu'?
> >

> Adverbs modify the entire phrase, so your sentence
> reads "I like red a little" and not *"I like a
> slightly red (thing)." BTW, {Doqqu'} is a verb,
> and you actually need a noun to be paired with it
> and be the object of {vIparHa'}, for example:
> {loQ Dochmey Doqqu' vIparHa'}. And, yes, you
> do pronounce both q's. I do it by making a
> little pause between the two. I think you
> can also lengthen a single q.
>
> -- ter'eS BG

Back to archive top level