tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 27 03:39:48 2006

Re: Slench... SuvwI'vaD ghaH?

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>Ok, i'll keep that in mind. chol would then be for the first or second
>person objects, while Sum would be for the 3rd person (in this case
>since it's primarily a stationary object.)

Er, no. That's not what I meant. What I meant was that {chol} implies
movement (*getting* near, not *being* near), and may be capable of taking an
object: {Dachol} "you get near it". Conversely, {Sum}, being stative,
probably can't take an object, and often carries an implication of being
near to the speaker, unless context indicates otherwise. In other words, you
can use either without any real restriction on first, second or third
person, no matter whether subject or object. (Actually, {Sum} and {Hop} do
behave a little differently, but I won't attempt to explain it here. For an
explanation, I recommend that you read what MO has to say about {Hop} and
{Sum} in this article:

http://klingonska.org/canon/1998-12.txt

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Want 1c text 24/7? Click here for details
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fadsfac%2Enet%2Flink%2Easp%3Fcc%3DTEL185%2E19163%2E0%26clk%3D1%26creativeID%3D29997&_t=753375536&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level