tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 24 13:43:58 2006

Re: complex sentences

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

you must not have heard, i eventually DID get TKD. Though, i have a student (now) who's using the postal course, and i will assist him with what he does not have from TKD. Via submitting examples. So far, it appears possible to learn without TKD as long as you have some one to talk to who does know. I know, barely knowing much of the language myself i have a student, but he's on the easier things like i-you sentances. lol
Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:  Parse the sentences as an exercise. I.e. translate each one literally to
understand the role of every word. For example, the first two sentences of
the S7 example above are simple but the 3rd is tricky: There are two
relative clauses, two {law'}/{puS} comparisons, and {law'} "be many" is
used 3 times but in two different ways. mu' HaqwI' will give you the basic
meanings of each word, suffix and prefix but since you don't have TKD you
may need help (just ask). But do try to puzzle out as much as you can on
your own. It helps if you strip off all the modifiers and reduce each
clause to the basic object-verb-subject skeleton, then put everything else
back one word at a time.