tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 24 08:04:10 2006

Re: tlhIngan bom

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 01:45 AM Monday 3/13/2006, naHQun wrote:

>p.s. this is my first post written without looking
>at my dictionary (mainly because I lost my dictionary)

I'm not sure if anybody responded to this.  A couple of corrections...

>DujDaq jIHvIS tlhIngan bom vIQoy

DujDaq jIHtaHvIS...

>DujDaq ghaH loDnI'wI''e' je

You need {-taH} for two reasons:

1. {-vIS} "is always used along with the Type 7 suffix {-taH}
'continuous'." (TKD p.43)

2. When using a pronoun-as-verb to indicate location, Klingon almost always
uses {-taH} (with only 2 exceptions AFAIK).  E.g.

   pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH
   I am in my quarters. TKD

   pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH la''e'
   The commander is in his quarters. TKD

   naDev bIHtaH
   Here they are. PK

   qIrq.  DujHomDaq ghaHtaH.
   Kirk. He's on the shuttlecraft! ST5

   meyrI'Daq 'oHtaH gho'e'
   The circle is in the square. [qep'a' 2005]

{-taH} is omitted when the pronoun-as-verb indicates identity.  E.g.

   tlhIngan jIH
   I am a Klingon. TKD

   tlhIngan jIHbe'
   I am not a Klingon! CK

   meb loSmaH cha' jIH
   I'm guest number 42. CK

   qIrq Duj 'oH
   That's Kirk's ship! ST5

   'entepray' 'oH DoS'e'
   Enterprise targeted! ("Enterprise is the target") ST5

A good way to remember the difference is this line from SkyBox S27:

   pa' 'oHtaH vaS'a''e'.  tlhIngan qum waw' 'oH.
   This is where the Klingon Great Hall is located, the center of
   the Klingon government. S27

>DujDaq ghaH loDnI'wI''e' je

DujDaq ghaHtaHvIS je loDnI'wI''e'.

   The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function: when it
   follows a verb, it means "also, too."  {qaleghpu' je} "I also
   saw you. I saw you too." As in English, the meaning of such
   sentences is ambiguous: "I and others saw you" or "I saw you
   and others." The exact meaning is determined by context. (TKD 55)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level