tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 22 15:20:12 2006

Re: Klingon word for Security

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Hos'etlh wrote:

>I have been curious how to translate "Head of Security" into Hol, and have
>been unable to locate a viable translation in any of the available books.
>Can someone assist.

Marc Okrand discussed ship's officers in _Klingon for the Galactic
Traveller_ (p. 53):

   There are a number of words employed to describe the specific
   functions performed by officers on a ship, but none of these is
   used as a title. For example, the science officer is the {QeDpIn},
   the communications officer is the {QumpIn}, the weapons officer
   is the {nuHpIn}, the engineering officer is the {jonpIn}, the
   tactical officer is the {ya}, and the helmsman is the {DeghwI'}.
   It is not correct, however, to say {qImlaq ya} ("Tactical Officer
   K'mlak"). On the other hand, one might say, {ya ghaH qImlaq Sogh'e'}
   ("Lieutenant K'mlak is the tactical officer") Similarly, regardless
   of their official ranks, those closest to the captain of a ship are
   called {yaS wa'DIch} ("first officer") and {yaS cha'DIch} ("second
   officer"). Unlike the terms associated with specific duties, however,
   these may be used as titles as well. It is correct to say both
   {qImlaq yaS wa'DIch} ("First Officer K'mlak") and {yaS wa'DIch ghaH
   qImlaq la''e} ("Commander K'mlak is first officer").

Head/Chief of Security isn't mentioned, but I would translate it as
*{HungpIn} - from {Hung} "security" and {pIn} "boss" - following the
pattern for {QeDpIn}, {QumpIn}, {nuHpIn} and {jonpIn} mentioned above.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons