tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 12 10:42:49 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: 'ach (conj)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, June 10, 2006.
>
>Category: Conjunctions
>
>Klingon word:   'ach
>Part of Speech: conj
>Definition:     but, nevertheless, even so, however

Used in canon:

jISoptaH 'ach QongtaH
I am eating, but he is sleeping. TKD

'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'
But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well. ST5

quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh
A Klingon who kills without showing his face has no honor. TKW

yIvoq 'ach yI'ol
Trust, but verify. TKW

yIvoq 'ach lojmItmey yISam
Trust, but locate the doors. TKW

nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
Our lives burn short and bright. (Anthem)

'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data', 'ach 'oy'naQ Dachu'DI' mIw paghDIch Data'
When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step, but when you turn
the painstik on, you accomplish the zeroth step. (KGT 177)

SuD 'ach wov
[(it) is] SuD but light. KGT

nab Hutlh 'ach vang
He/she lacks a plan, but he/she takes action. KGT

HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
[This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but was destroyed.] S33

qaSuch vIneH 'ach narghpu' 'eb. jIpaSqu'
I want to visit you, but the opportunity has escaped. I am very late
(i.e. "I was too late to visit you") (st.k 1/98)

tagha' pawpu' meb 'ach pumDI' ('etlh) Heghpu' qagh
The guest finally arrived, but by then the gagh had died. (st.k 11/99)

ngugh Ho'Du'chaj lo' chaH, 'ach DaH tajmey lo'
Then (at that time) they used their teeth, but now they use knives. (st.k
11/99)

tlhoy Sop 'ach ghIq Qongchu'.
He/she eats too much, but then he/she sleeps soundly. (HQ 8.3)

>Synonyms: 'a

"This word is sometimes shortened to {'a}." (TKD 55)

Used in canon:

notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH
War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level