tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 04 18:48:22 2006

Re: ST6 transcription problems

naHQun ([email protected])

jatlh Voragh:
>Crossing the Klingon border at Mortagh Outpost Three:

>[The officer at the Morska outpost is definitely speaking with an unusual
>accent, and might be using what the core of the empire would consider
>archaic speech. For example, when he was referring "that ship", he clearly
>said Dujvetz. There's no tz sound in "High Klingon" (as we study it on this
>list); it's apparently a dialectical variant of tlh. (ghunchu'wI')]

>>In Star Trek VI, we actually get to hear the Morskan
>>dialect INTENTIONALLY. [these two lines, while not by Okrand are included
because it's to what he replies to]

This is true.  The original script for "Star Trek VI"  (well, the earliest
version that I saw, anyway) had the English translations for the lines
spoken by the Klingon at the Morska listening post in a peculiar kind of
English to show that it was a different way of speaking.  As the filming
proceeded, the character changed somewhat so that he became an inattentive
Klingon rather than merely a Klingon from some different region, but we kept
the nonstandard dialect anyway.  (So he became an inattentive Klingon from a
part of the Empire we've not heard much about.)
-MO MSN 3-2-98

The speech of residents of the planet Morska has some identifiable
phonological characteristics also. Most striking is the absence of the sound
(pronounced as {ts} in Federation Standard {cats} in the Morskan dialect; at
the beginning of syllables, instead of saying <tlh>, Morskans say something
that sounds very much like a combination of standard Klingon <gh> and
<l>--that is, <ghl>. Compare, for example (Morskan/<ta' Hol>:

ghIts/ghItlh "write"
mats/matlh "be loyal"
ghlIngan/tlhIngan "Klingon"
ghlo'/tlho' "thank"
ghluts/tlhutlh "drink"

The Morskan dialect also pronounces <H> differently from the standard way.
At the beginning of syllables, <H> sounds like Federation Standard {h} as in
{hat}; at the ends of syllables, <H> is not pronounced at all:

hIv/HIv "attack"
ba/baH "fire [a torpedo]"
hu/HuH "bile"

Finally, <Q> at the beginning of syllables is pronounced the same as
standard Klingon <H>:

Hapla'/Qapla' "success"
Hoy/Qoy "hear"

Because of this pronunciation difference, sometimes speakers of the Morskan
dialect and those of <ta' Hol> misunderstand one another. Words such as the
following have been responsible for the loss of more than one life:

Hagh: Morskan, "make a mistake"/Standard "laugh"
Hoj: Morskan "make war"/Standard "be cautious"
HoS: Morskan, "be sorry"/Standard "be strong"
KGTp22-23

~naHQun

Back to archive top level