tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 01 07:17:42 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: neH (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, June 1, 2006.
>
>Klingon word:   neH
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     want

Explained in TKD (p. 66f.)

   When the verb of the second sentence is {neH} "want", neither
   {'e'} nor {net} is used, but the construction is otherwise
   identical to that just described.
     jIQong vIneH            I want to sleep.
     qalegh vIneH            I want to see you.
     Dalegh vIneH            I want you to see him.
     qama'pu' vIjonta' vIneH I wanted to capture prisoners.
   In this final example, the first part is {qama'pu' vIjonta'}
   "I captured prisoners". Note once again that the aspect marker
   (in this case, {-ta'} "accomplished") goes with the first verb
   only; the second verb {vIneH} "I want it", is neutral as to time.
   The past tense of the translation ("I wanted...") comes from the
   aspect marker on the first verb.

Used in canon:

vIneHpu'
I wanted them. TKD

DaneHchugh
if you want them TKD

ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'
The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer. TKD

Huch 'ar DaneH
How much money do you want? TKD

Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH
How much do you want for that? TKD

vogh vISuch vIneH
I want to visit someplace. CK

yejquv vaS'a' vISuch vIneH
I want to visit the Great Hall of the High Council. CK

HIq qIj vItlhutlh vIneH
I'll have the Black Ale. CK

chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH
[Maybe I'd like to buy something from you.] PK

cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneH
I want to buy dilithium crystals. PK

vIneHbej
I definitely want them! PK

cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneHbej
I definitely want to buy dilithium crystals. PK

javmaH tat chu'wI' vIneHbej
I definitely want sixty ion triggers. PK

qama'pu' jonta' neH
I wanted prisoners! (Clipped) ST3

yIvbeHlIj neH DapoSmoH vIneH
The only thing I want you to open is your blouse. (ST5 notes)

reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH
I've always wanted to engage a Federation ship. ST5

'e' neHbe' vavwI' [or vavoy]
That wasn't what my father wanted. ST6

pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS
If you want to eat pipius claw, you'll have to break a few pipiuses. TKW

vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh
Conquer what you desire. TKW

Dargh DaneH'a'
Spot of tea? RT

nuq DaneH
What do you want? KGT

nuH DaneHbogh yIngu'!
Which weapon do you want?
("Identify the weapon that you want!") KGT

bISop DaneH'a'? vIHtaH gho
Do you want to eat? The hoop is moving. [id. "hurry up!"] KGT

ghaH vuv SuS neH
he/she wants the wind to respect him/her
(idiom: "He/she is foolish" or "He/she is a fool.") [KGT 122]

muvuvpu' SuS vIneH
I wanted the wind to respect me (i.e. "I acted like a fool") KGT

Duvuv SuS DaneH'a'?
Do you want the wind to respect you?
(i.e. "What's with you? Are you an idiot?") KGT

jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH
Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to beam
aboard! STX

>Homonyms:
>     neH (adverb) - only, merely, just

Explained in TKD (p. 56f.)

   One word fits somewhat awkwardly into this category: {neH}
   "only, merely, just". Unlike the other adverbials, it follows
   the verb which it modifies. The semantic effect is one of tri-
   vializing the action:
     qama' vIqIppu' neH   I merely hit the prisoner.
     Duj yIQotlh neH      Just disable the ship!
   Also unlike the other adverbials, {neH} can follow a noun. In
   such cases, it means "only, alone".
     yaS neH             only the officer, the officer alone.
     jonta' neH          only the engine."

matHa', DoS jonta' neH
Gunner: target engine only. ST3

baHwI' DoS yIbuS. QuQ neH. yaj'a'?
Gunner: Target engine only - Understood? ST3

yIvbeHlIj neH DapoSmoH vIneH
The only thing I want you to open is your blouse. (ST5 notes)

Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'
Only fools laugh while warriors die. PK

qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH
qIb nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH. nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the
menacing profiles of their battlecruisers. SP1

not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'
Only fools have no fear. TKW

meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH
Only a fool fights in a burning house. TKW

Suvlu'taHvIS yapbe' HoS neH
Brute strength is not the most important asset in a fight. TKW

'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH
Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. TKW

wa' DoS neH yIbuS
Focus on but one target. TKW

HIvbe' qoHpu' neH
Only fools don't attack. TKW

Hegh neH chav qoH
A fool's only achievement is death. TKW

yIQeqQo' neH.  DoS yIqIp!
Don't just aim; hit the target! TKW

roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.
[Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld." S27

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level