tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 17 10:30:21 2006

RE: Klingon WOTD: Sa' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>Known Klingon generals include Martok (DS9), Koord (ST5), Chang (ST6),
>>Khmarr (ST6), Grokh (ST6), K'Vagh (ENT "Affliction",
>>"Divergence").  Anybody remember any more, especially from TNG?

Jeanne Berryman":
>More Sa' by mention only;
>
>K'trelan. The Second Dynasty ended when General K'trelan assassinated
>Emperor Reclaw. For the next 10 years the empire was ruled by a council
>elected by the people. Modern-day Klingon historians refer to this as
>the Dark Time. But it's interesting to note that this was the first and
>only experiment in Klingon democracy and actually produced several
>reforms. [2374 You Are Cordially Invited...  DS9 531   ]
>
>Krell. General. Krell ordered Klaa to follow Enterprise. Krell's message
>was taped, leaving no opportunity to respond or to question orders.
>Korrd is Krell's brother in law. [2287 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
>novelization. ] Can't recall at the moment if we actually see the guy
>who gives Klaa the orders. May not be actually on film.

Interestingly, this is the third {Qel} Krell we've heard of:

   Krell (PN) [Klingon officer advising the village people on the
   manufacture of primitive flintlocks in their conflict with the
   hill people (led by Kirk's old friend Tyree) on the planet
   Neural (Zeta Bootis III) (TOS "A Private Little War")]

   Krell (PN) [Fleet Admiral Krell threatened to wipe out the Qu'Vat
   Colony after Dr Antaak's experimentation with Klingon Augments at
   the genetic research facility there produced a highly contagious
   fatal plague. (ENT "Affliction" & "Divergence")]

We know Klingon names are reused within houses (Worf was apparently named
after his grandfather, General Worf (another general!) whom we saw in ST6
defending Kirk at his murder trial, so it's possible that the ENTERPRISE
Krell may be the father of the TOS Krell.  I wonder if the ST5 Krell could
be the Krell we saw in TOS?  (Does anyone remember if that Krell was killed
in the episode?  If not, his service on Neural - assuming the village
people won the war - could have been his first big step up the chain of
command.)

>Nemchick. General. Gowron wants attack on heavily fortified Sarpedion
>Five, HQ of Cardassian 12th order. Martok in first with 15 vorcha-class
>battle cruisers. General Nemchick in next. [2375 Tacking Into the Wind
>DS9 572 ]  Gowron mentions this toward the end of Tacking Into the Wind.
>It sounds like Tuvok. I tried to verify this with the closed captioning,
>thinking maybe Gowron said "Tuvot," rather than "Tuvok," but oddly
>enough, the closed captioning said "Nemchick."
>
>ShiVang. General. Martok spent five years as a civilian laborer aboard
>General ShiVang's flagship. then, as fortune would have it, the Romulans
>made a foolhardy attempt to board the ship. Martok earned a battlefield
>commission. [2375 Once More Unto the Breach  DS9 557 ]
>
>Tanas. General. New recruits for Rotarran expected at Starbase 375.
>Martok requested 15. General Tanas could only send 5.  [2374 Sons and
>Daughters  DS9 526   ]
>
>http://www.geocities.com/grethor/cavern.html

Thanks for looking these up.  I knew that all I had to do was ask and
someone would know.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons