tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 31 07:08:43 2006

Mailing list RSS

Mark E. Shoulson ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

OK, I was tinkering with something for this list yesterday, and
apparently it semi-works, so I might as well announce it.

You might be familiar with RSS.  It's a protocol by which things can be
kept updated regarding new posts or articles on some site.  So you can
subscribe to a news site's RSS feed and your RSS reader will poll it
every 5 minutes or whatever and show you as new things become
available.  Many blog-sites have RSS feeds to keep people updated when
new entries are added.  And so on.  If you don't see what good this
is... well, I'm not the right person to explain it.  But look it up
online and you'll find out more about it.

Anyway, I decided to see if I could cook up an RSS feed for the
tlhIngan-Hol list.  The last 50 messages (sort of; see below) are thrown
into an RSS file that you can download and thus see when new posts
appear.  It's only updated about once an hour, and that's okay because
the website itself is not updated in real time either.

It isn't really the last 50 messages, either.  It's actually the last 50
messages (if there are that many) *of the latest month*.  So tomorrow,
on the 1st of February, suddenly that list will shrink down to only a
few posts, until the total gets above 50 again.  Life's tough.

The URL of the feed is /maillist.rdf if you want to
try it out.

~mark

Back to archive top level