tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 28 08:11:47 2006

Re: "my name is" (was Re: loy)

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On 1/28/06, Lieven Litaer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but I see two sentences here
> with a different meaning, both following the same grammatical pattern:
>
> "A is B" --> {B 'oH A'e'}
>
> case 1:
> "identification of my name; Who am I?"
>
> "My name? My name is Quvar."
> {Quvar 'oH pongwIj'e'}
>
> case 2:
> "description of a word; What is it?"
>
> "Quvar? Quvar is my name."
> {pongwIj 'oH Quvar'e'}
>
> Is that what you guys mean?

Yes, that's what I mean. Especially the bit about "with a different
meaning", and the difference I see is the same as what you and
MorphemeAddict see.
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>
HovpoH 5233.58