tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 26 10:04:01 2006

Re: suffix -oy

Nancy Nielsen-Brown ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Just a quick note - the suffix -oy - is diminutive.  Using it on jaw
(Lord) makes it "less important" not "beloved".  Sort of like "Lordie",
and probably quite offensive!

p'an

(clipped message)
> I tend to agree, since to postulate the diphthongs in syllables ending

> in {'} would lead to postulating diphthongs in syllables like {jaw}
> "lord", which I think is wrong

Hm, dunno.  All I can say is that TKD 1.2 makes no mention of the
diphthongs REQUIRING the {'} consonant afterward, which IMPLIES that
{jaw} would rhyme with "cow", approximately.

> (would it be {jawoy} "beloved Lord" or ??{jaw'oy}?).

Uh...  I'm not familiar with ?{oy} or ?{'oy}, but you'd pronounce it the
way it was spelled.  Is there a suffic ?{oy} AND ?{'oy}?  If so, then
there might be possible confusion, but then again, there's no word
?{jaw'} either (as far as I know).  I'm fact, the way the language is
set up, I'm not sure such confusion can even occur, but I'm not
particularly well-versed in Klingon, so maybe someone more knowledgeable
can comment.

Back to archive top level