tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 25 15:13:11 2006

Re: HIvchuq

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
>BTW, the text of CK and PK have also never been officially published
>AFAIK.  Would you have us discount all of that data?

jang Philip, ja':
>Not the mapping of phonemes to symbols, since that's fairly
>unambiguous for Klingon, given a good speaker pronunciation.

We've actually been given the canon phoneme set of Klingon. maHvatlh
confirmed it with Okrand at qep'a' some years ago.

>My main quibble was with word division, which (I would imagine) is not
>usually well-expressed in speech -- it's more an artefact of the
>written word. For example, why "lighthouse" but "light year" or
>"light-year" in English?

I can't speak for others, but for me, "light year" carries two primary
stresses, making it unambiguously two phonological words. "Lighthouse",
conversely, carries only one primary stress.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level