tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 15:22:01 2006

Re: Ubykh via Klingon?

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

Yea, klingon does make it alot easier to learn any language. I'd probably be in so much trouble in french if i didn't already know the little of klingon that i do know.

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:  On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:37:59, QeS wrote:

>I learn the Ubykh language, which has many sounds in common with Klingon,
>and I have found that since I started speaking Klingon, my Ubykh
>pronunciation has got noticeably better because I am more used to making
>those sounds foreign to English.

Did you tell your Ubykh teacher your secret? What was the reaction?

Esperantists tout the virtue of using Esperanto as a relatively simple
"bridge language" for people before learning their first foreign natural
language. Similarly, many beginners have commented that learning Klingon
(and reading Mailing List) helped them immensely in understanding basic
grammatical principals and got them over that "Why doesn't [language] work
like English?" barrier that afflicts so many novice learners. I don't
remember if any of them ever told their teachers about the value of
learning Klingon first.

This gives yet another meaning to the KLI slogan {qo'mey poSmoH Hol}
"Language opens worlds".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons