tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 21 15:16:08 2006

Re: loy

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

in all reality, when we speak any language, we must remember we don't need to keep exactly the same culture, but we must keep a similar culture in mind when we talk. Like in french, the verb "aime" to like... To say i love you, you say "Je t'aime". Which literally means "i like you", but that's how people in france and other french speaking countries say "i love you". The best way to think of a klingon, is a pride obcessed redneck. They take the initiative, so, there is no "i guess" cause everything you say has to be a direct thing, "I guess" is a figurative "beat around the bush" method for saying "it appears as". You would either say "i think" or "it appears as" rather than "i guess" anyway.... am i right or am i the only one that sees it this way?

QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  ghItlhpu' Quvar, ja':
>Can one use {loy} in the sense of "I guess everyone has seen him"?

I don't see why not, since we have similar constructs for {Qub} "think", and
they're both verbs of thinking or perception. {leghpu' Hoch 'e' vIloy} "I
guess (that) everyone has seen him".

That being said, the English "I guess everyone has seen him" is also
idiomatic for what could be expressed in Klingon as {leghlaw'pu' Hoch}
"everyone has apparently seen him"; I'd only use {...'e' vIloy} if I was
actually referring to a guess or theory, as in "I guessed the answer to the
question".

Savan,

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
 Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!

Back to archive top level