tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 17 11:53:04 2006

Re: cha yIghuS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:

>Even though maybe MO did not explicitly confirm it - would you
>accept/understand {ghuS} for loading a weapon, like a gun?
>Okay for you?  I mean, is it understandable?

   ... used primarily in reference to torpedoes ... The verb
   {ghuS} can also be used in reference to, among other things,
   rockets, missiles,and various kinds of energy beams (which,
   like torpedoes, go from one point to another). It is also
   used to describe the action of pulling back the elastic band
   of a slingshot.  (TKD 36f)

"... among other things" -- I'd accept it.  We know that Klingons have
gunpowder {ngat}:

   The name of the granulated cartilage is {ngat}, which has
   also come to mean "gunpowder".  (KGT 90)

>I first thought of {chu'}, but the {chu'wI'} activates i.e. shoots the gun.

{baH}  "fire (torpedo, rocket, missile), launch" (v.)

{bach} "shoot" (v.)
{bach} "shot"  (n.)

>{nISwI' vItlhap, vIghuS, 'ach vIchu'be'. jIloS.}
>"I take the gun, load it, but don't shoot yet. I wait."

Don't forget {wej} "not yet" (N.B. don't add {-be'}:

   wej vIbach/vIbaH
   I don't shoot it yet

--
Voragh