tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 15 04:34:37 2006

Re: easy question

In a message dated 1/15/2006 3:37:38 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> To me, {negh}
> strikes me as collective: "a group of soldiers", maybe. {loS negh} sounds
> odd, and if it meant anything at all, I would interpret it as "four groups
> of soldiers" or something similar. And anyway, since plural marking is
> optional on a noun after a number, {loS mang} avoids the problem entirely.

If {negh} can be used with numbers, then it can be used with {wa'}, making it
singular, which conflicts with its inherent plural meaning, even though
grammatically it is singular.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level