tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 13 13:02:08 2006

Re: easy question

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > Has he ever used a number with the inherently plural form of these
> > nouns?

lay'tel SIvten:
>    wa' DoS neH yIbuS.
>    Focus on but one target.
>    [TKW p. 81]

Voragh:
> > Nope.  {DoS} is singular, {ray'} is plural.

lay'tel SIvten:
>You're right about the singular and plural, but what are you saying "Nope" to?
>The example just shows another instance of a number with an inherently
>singular noun.

Indeed, but I was asking for examples of numbers with inherently plural nouns.

>[Is there a term for these nouns with different plurals (maybe "defective
>nouns")?]

{Duy'} "be defective" vs. {pup} "be perfect"?

Arabic grammarians use "broken plural" to refer to those nouns that don't
simply add a suffix (e.g. "a Moslem" muslim [sg.], muslimiin [pl.]) but
change the internal vowel pattern and often the stress (e.g. "book" kitaab
[sg.], kutub [pl.]; "[religious] school, seminary" madrasah [sg.], madaaris
[pl.]).

What do we call them in English (e.g. child vs. children; person vs. people)?

I think just "irregular" is the simplest.  There are a couple of choices in
Klingon:  {le'} "be special/exceptional" vs. {le'be'} "be unexceptional" or
{motlh} "be usual, be normal, be standard" vs. {motlhbe'} "be unusual".

BTW, how do we refer to singular vs. plural nouns at all?  I though of
using with {law'} "be many" but realized that {DIp law'} doesn't mean "a
plural noun", but "many nouns".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons