tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 07 06:36:39 2006

Re: KLBC DIS chu'

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ter'eS:

>Yes, as far as we know, that would be correct (but careful, it's {pIvbogh}.

wa' DoS wIqIp. ghItlhlu'taHvIS qarnISlu'.

>Another alternative I like to use with paired adjectives isn't strictly
>canon but seems to have general acceptance: {valbogh loD qan}
>"a wise old man".

Having been away on my retirement holiday (!) for a week, I was going to
suggest this when I read ter'eS's first post, but he has ably beat me to the
punch. There is no instance of this construction in canon where two stative
verbs are involved, although we do have a very near parallel with
{yIntaHbogh Soj tlhol} "raw food which lives" (SkyBox card 21, IIRC), but I
also like the construction and have used it on many occasions.

Actually, here would be a good place for me to add another shameless plug
for the Wiki page I look after:

/wiki/index.php?Common%20Grammar%20Questions%20And%20Problems

In this page you can find considerations of some common questions and
errors, one of which is, by a strange coincidence, an overview of how one
goes about using multiple adjectivals for a single noun. You may find the
other issues interesting also.

Savan,

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

ASUS M5 Ultra-slim lightweight is Now $1999 (was $2,999)
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Easus%2Ecom%2Eau%2F&_t=752129232&_r=Hotmail_tagline_23Nov05&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level