tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 14 12:44:13 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: cha'puj (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, February 7, 2006.
>
>Klingon word:   cha'puj
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     dilithium

As used in canon:

   cha'puj tlhIlHal vISuch vIneH
   I want to visit the dilithium mines. CK

   cha'puj vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS
   Give me a permit to sell dilithium, your honor. PK

   cha'puj pa'
   dilithium chamber KBoP

Related nouns:

{Dom} "radan (crude dilithium crystal)".  Processed crystals of dilithium
are called {cha'pujqut}:

   Elemental crystal used in the reaction of matter and antimatter
   to generate power.  [KCD:KLS]

   cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneH
   I want to buy dilithium crystals. PK

   cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneHbej
   I definitely want to buy dilithium crystals! PK

   choH lISbogh Hap'e': cha'pujqut
   Reaction Moderating Element - Crystalline Dilithium. KBoP

Discussed by Okrand:

   ... either {cha'pujqutmey} or dilithium crystals will work in
   a warp drive system   [KGT 204]

Cultural notes:

   Rura Penthe is a frozen asteroid used by Klingons as a penal colony
   for enemies of the Empire... The prisoners on Rura Penthe ... mine
   dilithium, required for warp propulsion systems. (TKW 190)

*{puj} may have something to do with minerals {tlhIlmey}.  According to KGT
(p.82) {beqpuj} is "a common mineral that is bright orange" that is
otherwise unknown.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons