tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 02 13:52:44 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: lung (noun)

In a message dated 2/2/2006 9:27:59 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

>  It's been suggested - largely on the basis of {lung} IIRC - that
> Chinese is among the languages which Okrand knows.  Has anyone noticed any
> other possible Chinese puns in the vocabulary?

I wouldn't expect many puns based on Chinese, because the phonetics of the
two languages are so different.  Even though Chinese words are based on
C(S)V(C), similar to Klingon ('S' = semivowel [i/u]), the final C can only be "n" or
"ng", and sometimes an "r"-type sound.  If the vowel is a diphthong, it can't
be followed a consonant at all.  Klingon has no semivowels at the beginning of
its diphthongs.  Many Chinese initial consonants (in pinyin) are unknown in
Klingon, e.g., "c", "f", "q", "x", "z", and this further reduces the possible
source words.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level