tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 12 13:06:18 2006

Re: [Klingon_Language] need help translating [2nd try]

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Col. Krikor zantai-jechwI' wrote on the Yahoogroups Klingon_Language list:

[Oops.  I should have provided the Colonel's e-mail: "krikorjechwi"
<[email protected]> ]

>I have been asked to help translate some lines into Klingon for a TV
>ad for the SPACE Channel (Canada's answer to the Sci-Fi Channel).  The
>premise of the ad is that a couple of concerned parents are
>completely unable to relate to their Klingon-obsessed child until they
>start watching Star Trek on SPACE.
>
>- translations of the following : "Will you play with me, Daddy?"

The verb {reH} "play" is apparently not transitive.  Our only example:

   reH puqpu'
   The children play. KGT

The "with me" part is tricky.  But you can rely on context and just say:

   vavoy, bIreHlaH'a'?
   Daddy, can you play?

   vavoy, bIreH DaneH'a'?
   Daddy, do you want to play?

   vavoy, jIreH vIneH.
   Daddy, I want to play.

>and "There is great honour in cleaning your room"

   pa'lIj DaSay'moHchugh vaj bIquv
   "if you clean your room, then you are honored"

on the model of:

   naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh jISopneSchugh vaj jIquv
   It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your Honor. PK

>I will also need some throwaways like "When will I face the pain
>sticks" (or whatever one would say before such a ritual)

   'oy'naQ Dalo'taHvIS ghorgh chochov?
   Using a painstik, when will you (sg.) test me? [to one person]

   'oy'naQmey bolo'taHvIS ghorgh tuchov?
   Using painstiks, when will you (pl.) test me? [to several people]

On the model of:

   luchovmeH 'oy'naQmey lo'
   [Warriors] who test him with painstiks. S9

   SIQwI' lu'oy'moHmeH juppu'Daj 'oy'naQmey lo' chaH.  SuvwI' qa'
   patlh veb chavlaHmeH tlhIngan lo'chu' chaH. toDujDaj toblu'.
   The painstik is employed by friends of the recipient who use the
   devices to inflict pain in a manner which will allow the Klingon
   to attain a higher state of spirituality as a warrior, proving
   his mettle. S32

However, Klingons refer to walking the gauntlet of painstik-wielding
warriors during the Ritual of Ascension {nentay} as "traveling the River of
Blood":

   'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH
   I travel the River of Blood (TNG "The Icarus Factor")

   'Iw bIQtIqDaq bIlengjaj
   May you travel the River of Blood! PK

Thus, the savvy Klingon child might well ask:

   ghorgh bIQtIqDaq jIjaH?
   When will I travel the "River of Blood"?

For more emphasis on "I" by an anxious child, add {jIH}:

   ghorgh bIQtIqDaq jIjaH jIH?
   When will *I* travel the "River of Blood"?

>and "I'm so proud of him [my son]"

You can't be "proud of" someone in Klingon, but you can be proud because of
someone:

   puqloDwI'mo' jIHem(qu')
   "because of my son, I am (very) proud"

You can also say that someone makes you proud using the causative suffix
{-moH}:

   muHemmoH(qu') puqloDwI'
   my son makes me (very) proud

   muHemmoHta' puqloDwI'
   my son has made me proud

Hope this helps.  If you need to adjust some of these for person or number,
let me know.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh