tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 12 07:36:06 2006

Terran dates (was Re: Hol chu' HaDlu''a'?)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

...Paul:
> > I like it too.  /qaSDI' Hoch jar wejDIch/...  Definitely clean.  My only
> > concern is that it seems like it refers to "March" -- ie. the idea of
> > "third month" would be always related to the start of the year.  Rather
> > than being "every three months" it's "every third month (of the year)".

lay'tel SIvten:
>March might better be {jar wej}.

That's probably correct.  IIRC we have one example of how a full Terran
date would be read aloud from the ST: The Experience Communique:

   tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
    HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh.
   Save this Stardate:  Sunday, January 4, 1998  (STX)

i.e. "Terran time-period day 1 (Sunday), month 1 (January), 4th day, year
1-9-9-8"

And for those interested in adding the century:

   ... qItI'nga' Duj. tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH
   the K'Tinga-class remained in use for most of the 23rd century. (S15)

   tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga' Duj tI'ang
    ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
   A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered
    in the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. (S15)

   tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch
   Be the first to journey to the 24th century. (STX)

i.e. "Terran hundred year time-period twenty-three/four]"

Apparently the one-word form {DISpoH} on SkyBox S15 is a typo, as Okrand
used the two-word form in a HolQeD article (HQ 8.3) on time periods:

   With longer time periods, such as a century ({vatlh DIS poH}), or
   a period of 10,000 years (myriad, perhaps) ({netlh DIS poH}), the
   words {ret} or {pIq} may be used in place of {poH}, e.g., {cha'
   vatlh DIS poH} "two centuries", but {cha' vatlh DIS ret} "two
   centuries ago". The phrase {cha' vatlh ben} would mean "200 years
   ago". The choice of construction depends on what is being emphasized:
   in this case, the total number of centuries (two) or the total
   number of years (200).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons