tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 24 14:23:25 2006

Re: omission of possessive suffixes?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Thorwald Peeters wrote:
> >with the above sentence, is the possesional suffix {-Daj} *never*
> >required, or just required in some cases?

Voragh:
>I've wondered myself whether using these suffixes is always required.  In
>Latin and Russian for example, possessive pronouns are usually omitted when
>their use is - in the words of the grammar books - "obvious and
>unremarkable":  e.g. "the student raised (his) hand", "the woman stubbed
>(her) toe", "I scratched (my) head", etc.  Okrand almost always adds the
>suffix (following English practice), but IIRC there are a few cases where
>he doesn't.
>
>These examples use a different construction:
>
>   butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
>   Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. [TKW]
>    (relative clause: "the person who has dirt-under-fingernails")
>
>   HeghDI' SuvwI' nargh SuvwI' qa'.
>   When a warrior dies, his spirit escapes. [TKW]
>    (repeats the noun {SuvwI'})
>
>   jonlu'meH wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
>   Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. [ST5 notes]
>    (purpose clause "[in order] to capture [him]" followed by a law'/puS
>    formula"
>
>   loDHom jIHDI' qIrq qun vIqImchoH.
>   I've followed his history since I was a boy. [ST5 notes]
>    (uses the name: "Kirk's history")
>
>But in this example the possessive pronoun is simply omitted:
>
>    'oy'naQ Dalo'be'chugh not nenghep lop puq.
>    If you don't use the painstik, the child will never celebrate
>     his Age of Ascension. [TKW]
>    (i.e. "the child will never celebrate the Age of Ascension")
>
>Now this may be what we're talking about, or it may just be a case of not
>being able to use possessive pronouns on something intangible - the Age of
>Ascension {nenghep} is a ceremony (or time of life), not an object.

For those interested, I found some more examples using other constructions:

   tlhIngan ngoQmey chavmeH HoH tlhInganpu'.
   Klingons kill for their own purposes.  [TKW]
   ("Klingons kill to achieve Klingon goals")

   pIch vIghajbe'
   It's not my fault. [TKD]
   ("I don't have [the/any] blame.")

   ghItlh vIghItlhta'bogh DalaD'a'
   Will you read my manuscript?  [TKD]
   ("... the manuscript which I have written")

   vISeHmeH Hoch nuHmey Qay!
   All weapons to my control.  [ST5 (clipped)]
   ("Transfer all weapons in-order-for-me-to-control-them")

   vImuHlu' net wuqHa'!
   My death sentence was commuted! [ENT "Affliction']
   ("It was un-decided that I'm to be executed")

and some more true omissions:

   DungDaq legh 'ej QotnIStaH romuluSngan be'pu'!
   Romulan women belong on their backs! [ST5 notes]

   juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
   During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people from their
   homeworld of Kronos into space... [SP1]

   qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'
   I've taken off my belt. [HQ 2.4]

--