tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 07 12:16:02 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: qIvon (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, August 6, 2006.
>
>Klingon word:   qIvon
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     body part (not futher identified)

   bIrchugh qIvon tuj 'Iw
   If the qIvon is cold, the blood is hot. TKW

   It is not clear what a {qIvon} is, aside from the fact that
   it is a Klingon body part... the real meaning of the saying
   is a little obscure. It probably means something like "Even
   though some parts of the body may be cold, a Klingon's blood
   is hot"--that is, he is ready for battle. (TKW 174)

N.B. that {qIv} is "knee".

The Okuda "Omnipedia" identifies "QiVon" as being another word for knee.

"Klingonese word (pronounced `KEE-von') for an object of anatomy,
apparently coming at least in pairs: Kor's left QiVon aches whenever his
ship hits Warp-Factor 8. (Blood
Oath)"  [<http://www.startrek.com's/>startrek.com's Star Trek: Continuum
Klingon Compendium area ("Klingon Linguistic Studies")]

"At qep'a' wejDIch we played the 'hokey-pokey' with Klingon body part
names... For {qIvon}, everyone looked a bit confused - including Marc
[Okrand] - and just put the whole body 'in' and 'out'." (ghunchu'wI')

"I tried to 'pursue' the meaning of {qIvon}. Maltz seemed a little
reluctant to talk about it. (I'd say 'embarrassed,' but that word is
entirely inappropriate to use in describing a Klingon.) The next time the
bloodwine is flowing freely, I'll try to remember to bring it up again. But
I've noticed that, for me, anyway, bloodwine and memory don't mix." (Marc
Okrand, st.klingon 6/29/1997)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons