tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 05 17:52:20 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: jIj (verb)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Holtej, ja':
>Klingon word:   jIj
>Part of Speech: verb Definition:     be cooperative Source: KGT (217 KE,
>238 EK) Swedish: vara samarbetsvillig
>Homonyms:
>	jIj (verb) - cooperate

I suspect that {jIj} "to cooperate" probably isn't a separate word, but that
the KGT entry is merely a clarification of the entry in TKD. I've just
realised, also, that the extended meaning of "to be cooperative", implying
that {jIj} is stative in nature, gives us a way to make sense of the
compound {yuQjIjDIvI'} "United Federation of Planets": originally {yuQ jIj
DIvI'} "cooperative planets' federation".

Going into the realm of speculation, I wonder whether {DIvI'} might
ultimately be related somehow to the verb {vI'} "to accumulate"? Perhaps
{DIvI'} "we accumulated them"?

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

WIN YOUR FATHER A FANTASTIC DAY ? 50 PRIZES TO WIN
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fadsfac%2Enet%2Flink%2Easp%3Fcc%3DCAD002%2E21377%2E0%26clk%3D1%26creativeID%3D41189&_t=753911014&_r=emailtagline_cadbury&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level