tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 03 15:44:34 2006

Re: How do you say "pizza" in Klingon?

ja' SuSvaj:
> ...Depending on reigonal pronunciation "Pizza" is pronounced with
> either a "z" or an "s".

If someone is pronouncing "pizza" with a "z", he's using a
nonstandard (one might call it substandard) pronunciation.  If I felt
like being extremely picky, I'd even object to describing it as
having the "s" sound.  It's precisely the affricate "ts", spelled "z"
in Italian (and I believe in German as well), and "c" in Esperanto.

> Neither of which exists in Klingon.

That's not important.  As a recognized phoneme, /ts/ doesn't exactly
exist in English, but we say it anyway in borrowed words like tsunami.

ja' lay'tel SIvten:
> As I said, it's a /ts/, which isn't the same as a plain /s/.

Right.  The /ts/ sound is related to /t/ and /s/ in the same way /ch/
is related to /t/ and /sh/, the way /j/ is related to /d/ and /zh/,
or the way Klingon {tlh} is related to "t" and the Welsh "ll".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level