tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 03 06:37:51 2006

Re: How do you say "pizza" in Klingon?

In a message dated 8/3/2006 8:15:07 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

>  >What doesn't work? "Pizza" has no "z" sound in the first place, so
> >that's a silly argument.
>
>   Well someone got up on the wrong side of the QongDaq today.  Feeling a
> little pissy today are we?  As for your comments I beg to differ.  Depending on
> reigonal pronunciation "Pizza" is pronounced with either a "z" or an "s".
> Neither of which exists in Klingon.  So your objection is just...well...silly.

What regional pronunciations?  I've only ever heard it pronounced (in
English, not Italian) as /pi:ts@/, with an unvoiced /ts/.  No /z/, and not really a
/s/, either.

>   >And it doesn't apply anyway, because he's
> >not suggesting that the word be respelled to fit the typical Klingon
> >phonology. It's just being borrowed directly. Just like saying
> >"croissant" in English, which lacks the distinctive nasal vowelish
> >sound at the end.
>
>   You read alot into his statement.  All I saw was:
>
>   And at least one answer to the original question "How do you say 'pizza'
> in
> Klingon?" is simply {*pizza*}.

ghunchu'wI''s comment reflects exactly what I meant by my original comment.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level