tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 03 06:19:26 2006

Re: How do you say "pizza" in Klingon?

Eric Zay ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

"If the speakers go along with it" is the single most important factor.  Language is and always has been in the hands of the speaking population.  I am not saying that top down language control has no influence at all.  It certainly can, particularly when the government is in control of the media and can control what is read and seen on TV.  But I don't think that that influence is ever total.  Many other influences are always going to be present and cannot be kept out easily.  Language is just to fluid to be contained in this way.

  SuSvaj

"Stephen A. Carter" <[email protected]> wrote:
  Even if you're right, though, it doesn't change the point that
top-down language control is perfectly possible if the speakers go
along with it, as my other examples showed.

-- Stephen Carter
[email protected]
Nagoya, Japan