tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 02 21:26:37 2006

Re: How do you say "pizza" in Klingon?

Eric Zay wrote:
> "Pizza" doesn't work.  There is no "z" sound.

What doesn't work?  "Pizza" has no "z" sound in the first place, so
that's a silly argument.  And it doesn't apply anyway, because he's
not suggesting that the word be respelled to fit the typical Klingon
phonology.  It's just being borrowed directly.  Just like saying
"croissant" in English, which lacks the distinctive nasal vowelish
sound at the end.

> The convention I hear most often is pIja'.

*I* wouldn't recognize that as referring to pizza.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level