tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 02 14:46:45 2006

Re: How do you say "pizza" in Klingon?

Eric Zay ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

And neither country will have much success with this.  You can't control the natural flow of a language.

  SuSvaj
"...Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
  France has been doing this for a while... The really got irked at the
adoption of the phrase "email" and put out a political directive that the
proper French term is something like "courrier electronique":

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/world/2003-07-18-french-email_x.htm

...Paul

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Steven Boozer wrote:

> Some time ago we were playing with this question on the list. Today I read
> that the increasingly xenophobic mullahcracy in Iran is struggling with the
> same problem:
>
> TEHRAN, Iran -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has ordered
> government and cultural bodies to use modified Persian words to
> replace foreign words that have crept into the language, such as
> "pizzas" which will now be known as "elastic loaves," state media
> reported Saturday.
>
> The presidential decree, issued earlier in the week, orders all
> governmental agencies, newspapers and publications to use words
> deemed more appropriate by the official language watchdog, the
> Farhangestan Zaban e Farsi, or Persian Academy, the IRNA official
> news agency reported.
>
> The academy has introduced more than 2,000 words as alternatives
> for some of the foreign words that have become commonly used in
> Iran, mostly from Western languages. The government is less sensi-
> tive about Arabic words, because the Quran is written in Arabic.
>
> Among other changes, a "chat" will become a "short talk" and a
> "cabin" will be renamed a "small room," according to the official
> Web site of the academy.
>
> (Cf. http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/)
>
> To tie this back to Klingon, SuStel once reported that:
>
> At a {qep'a'} a few years ago, we asked Marc Okrand about this,
> and he said that {chab} would work for this. The word means any
> baked bread or crust sort of food. So, doughnuts are {chab},
> turnovers are {chab}, and pizza is {chab}. Mince pie would be
> {chab}. Bagels are {chab}. [...] {chab} doesn't equal "bread."
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they
do it from a religious conviction." -- Blaise Pascal