tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 27 14:50:35 2006

Re: par' vs. muS?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh (quoting Marc Okrand in KGT):
> >A third type involves body parts, Klingon or otherwise, as in {'uSoy},
> >{'aDoy}, {pIpoy}, {pachoy}.

QeS:
>In the novel "Sarek" by Ann C. Crispin, the Klingon character, Valdyr, uses
>the pet name {'Iwoy} (untranslated in the novel, but obviously from {'Iw}
>"blood") for Peter Kirk. This is interesting for two reasons: firstly,
>Crispin credits Marc Okrand with the Klingon phrases and words in the book;
>and secondly, "Sarek" was published some three years *before* Klingon for
>the Galactic Traveller.

In my notes I have the translation "dear blood" marked as a quotation from
the novel.  I had quite forgotten about that but remember thinking it an
odd endearment.  It's very oddity convinced me it was Okrandian.

However "Sarek" also had Valdyr calling out {Pityroy!} whilst she and Peter
Kirk were making out.  I've always assumed that Crispin coined that
particular term - both because of the peculiar spelling and the fact that
Okrand has never put {-oy} on a name - and slipped it past Okrand.

Nice catch.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons