tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 23 22:21:40 2005

Re: believe in?

In a message dated 10/23/2005 9:37:01 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> So I know that {Har} means "believe",
> but how would I say that I "believe in (something)"?
> i.e. Christ, magic, fairies *clap clap*
>
> ~naHQun

I could find only one canon instance of {Har}:
{qaHarbe'; bo'Dagh'a' Dalo'}
I don't believe you; you're using a big scoop | I don't believe you; You're
exaggerating (idiom)  [KGT p125]

This usage matches "believe" vt 1a below.

"believe in" can be "believe" vi 1a, 1b, 3 below.

Paraphrase (or "recast").
What does "believe in X" mean?  (Or what do you believe when you believe in
something?)
For starters, it can mean "believe that X exists", if X is God, magic,
fairies. (vi. 1a below)
It can also mean "believe that X is good or will do the right thing" (vi. 3
below)
When it means 'accept', it can be translated as {laj}, a recent KWOTD. (vi.
1b below)

I think {laj} (accept) can work for "believe in".

lay'tel SIvten

Webster's Third New International Dictionary:
believe vi
1a : to have a firm or wholehearted religious conviction or persuasion -
usually used with *in* <*believe* in the Scriptures> and sometimes with *on* <and
many *believed* on him there - Jn 10:42(AV)>
b : to receive in faith or trust : ACCEPT <a story that divided the audience
into those who *believed* and those who didn't> - often used with *in* <serfs
incapable of *believing* in the sincerity of a master who desired to help them
- E.J. Simmons> <because of its sincerity ... this is the kind of play one
would like to *believe* in - *Punch*>
2 *obs* to give credence : TRUST - used with *to* <*believe* to your own
virtues>
3 : to have a firm conviction as to the beneficial, genuine, or good quality
of something - used with *in* <*believe* in physical culture>
4 : THINK, SUPPOSE <inclined to *believe* in accordance with her husband>

1a is incomplete and doesn't tell us anything about the conviction or
persuasion.

believe vt
1 a : to take (a statement or person making a statement) as true, valid, or
honest : give credence to <*believe* the reports>
b: to accept or receive as genuine, valid, or good <a bland assumption that
all scientists ... decide and publish what science *believes* - R.M. Weaver>
2 *obs* : to assume the existence of as true or valid <*believe* a God>
3 : to be of the opinion : SUPPOSE, SUSPECT. <*believe* it will rain> <the
dye is *believed* to be a complex acid>

Back to archive top level