tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 17 12:45:47 2005

Re: targhmey

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
> > {nuqDaq 'oH targh'e'?}
> > {bIQtIqDaq 'oH'a'?}
> > {bIQtIqDaq 'oH'a' targh'e'?} ??

ghunchu'wI':
>maj.  I'd suggest putting {-taH} on the pronoun/verb, to emphasize
>that the location is a continuing thing rather than a simple fact of
>being.  That seems to be the conventional thing to do when using
>pronouns to indicate "be at a place".

More than conventional style, it seems to actually be a rule - albeit one
that's undocumented in either TKD or KGT.  EVERY pronoun-as-verb example
indicating "be at a place" has {-taH} on the pronoun.  AFAIK there are no
exceptions.

OTOH if you use the more general {tu'lu'} "there is/are" to indicate
location, you don't need to tag it with {-taH}.  I just checked my notes
and there are NO examples of the form *{tu'lu'taH}, which is curious
considering the suffixes {-lu'taH} can and do occur on other verbs - most
famously {batlh Daqawlu'taH}.

Thus:

   bIQtIQDaq targh tu'lu'.
   There's a targ in the river.