tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 04 17:44:21 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: HomwI' (noun)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
>jaghwI'Daq jIHom
>I use (my) second toe at my enemy
>(idiom: I claim my enemy is unworthy or weak)
>This gesture is a reference to the slang term {Hom} (KGT 152):

Okrand elaborates:

"The gesture itself is most likely to come up during ritualized martial arts
combat (which, incidentally, is often a part of Klingon ballet)." (HolQeD
10:2)

A parallel example is found with {qan} "use the little finger":

"In addition to {qan} "use the little finger, use the pinkie," there is
another verb {qan} meaning "be old (not young)." No doubt because of this
resemblance, when one points at someone using the little finger, or when one
remarks on this pointing, the pointer is making a comment on the age of the
person being pointed to." (HolQeD 10:2)

Savan,

QeS la'
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian