tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 22 17:08:44 2005

Re: I'm thankful for ...

QeS la' ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SoplaHtaHwI', ja':
>{'uSmeyma' 'ey, bIHmo' bommey bom chaH}

jang Voragh, ja':
>Since the turkeys are actually speaking, {-ma'} "our" for beings capable of
>using speech is entirely appropriate... and funny.

Funny, perhaps, but no, it is not correct. Remember that the possessive
suffixes agree in gender with the possessed object, not with the possessor
(so {HoDma'} "our captain", but {Dujmaj} "our ship"); check TKD section
3.3.4. (It parallels the situation in French, where possessive pronouns
agree with the possessor for person and number, but with the possessed for
gender: <son oncle> "his/her uncle", but <sa tante> "his/her aunt".) Here,
the possessed things are the legs, and body parts take {-maj}, not {-ma'}.

{'uSDu'maj} "our legs" is what you're looking for; {'uSmaj} would also be
fine, since the context tells us that more than one drumstick is likely to
be involved. As Voragh goes on to say, {gham} is probably more appropriate
to this situation, but {'uS} certainly works.

jangtaH Voragh, ja':
>We now know that {'uS} refers to legs of people.  Use {gham} - note BTW the
>similar-sounding {ghab} "meat from midsection of animal" - or {HajDob}:

Further to Voragh's point, recall that due to the reduction of voiced stops
to nasals in the Krotmag dialect, {gham} and {ghab} are homophonous in that
dialect.

taH:
>though we did hear {to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh} "stuffed tobbaj legs" twice
>in PK, which pre-dated KGT.
>Either way, use the plural suffix for body parts {-Du'}.
>Also, you don't need the redundant pronoun.  Put the suffix {-mo'} on the
>noun or quality.

toH! naDev taghwI' pabpo''e' 'Iv? {{:P Exactly right, though; the pronoun is
unnecessary here.

ja'taH SoplaHtaHwI':
>I wasn't sure what root to choose for "glorious" so I chose "delicious"
>instead.

jang Voragh, ja':
>I'd use {Dun} "be wonderful, be great" - associated with songs of glory:

Agreed. I see "glorious" as a perfectly acceptable gloss of {Dun}.

Savan,

QeS la'
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level