tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 29 09:26:34 2005

Re: "Button"?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >    For one form of {SusDeq}, the {may'ron}, the player stretches the
> >    bag out to fill it with air and squeezes it together to empty it
> >    while directing the flow of air by pressing buttons mounted on
> >    boards on either end of the bag, much like an accordion. To finger
> >    the {may'ron}--that is, to push the buttons--is to {Heng}, the same
> >    word applied to the {meSchuS}.  (KGT 75-76)
> >
> > No indication as to whether {Heng} can be used for pressing buttons on a
> > control panel or not.  It would probably work ironically for someone
> > pressing many switches in rapid succession -- e.g. someone so good at
> their
> > job that s/he's able to "play" the control panel with their eyes closed.

lay'tel SIvten:
>I think it could also be used for typing on a keyboard.

Agreed, provided some context was provided.  Without it, the musical
connotation of {Heng} would no doubt be assumed.  Also, let's not forget
the finger verbs:

   The "finger verbs" are used when talking about specific ways of
   using a particular device (weapon, computer control panel, even
   musical instrument... (HQ 10.2:8)

BTW, I've always used {[De'wI'] SeHlaw} for "(computer) keyboard" as that's
what it is.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons