tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 28 15:12:41 2005

Re: More Ebay Klingon T-shirts

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Paul wrote:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15687&item=3954953924&rd=1
>
>Translated "Eat me" as "HISop"

Correct.

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15687&item=3954954383&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
>Translated "Kiss me, I'm Klingon" to "wuSDu'wIjDaq wuSlIj tIlan, tlhIngan
>jIH" (seller says the literal translation is "Place your lips on mine")

It is, save for the inconsistent use of the plural {-Du'} suffix.  The
seller probably omitted it on {wuSlIj} because the prefix {tI-} requires a
plural object, making the plural suffix redundant.  Whoever did these knew
their Klingon... certainly better than the writers of last week's
ENTERPRISE episode "Observer Effect".

FYI: Okrand overcame the lack of an explicit verb "to kiss" by using {chop}
"bite" in:

   HIchop, bang.
   Give us a kiss, love. (Radio Times)

which isn't that far off the mark if you consider that Klingon males
initiate courtship by biting the female (VGR "Someone to Watch Over
Me").  (Although it has nothing to do with Klingons, Data's "daughter" Lal
was confused while watching two Enterprise-D crewman get amorous: "He's
*biting* that female!!" [TNG "The Offspring"].)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level