tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 28 20:14:57 2004

-beH and -rup on qualities

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 3:23 PM
Subject: RE: two rovers on one verb

> BTW I wouldn't expect to see {-beH} "ready, set up" on a quality, since
> this suffix means that the device is ready/set up to *do* something.  IOW,
> this is another one of those suffixes that I think can only be used either
> on an action verb or together with {-choH} "become" or {-moH} "cause"
> (which suffixes turn a quality into an action verb).

I don't see any reason to deny putting {-beH} or {-rup} on quality verbs.
Okrand never makes a case that you can only be ready to do an action and not
be a quality, and there's no logical reason that it can't work.

    jIQuchrup
    I am ready to be happy.

    lI'beH Duj
    The ship is ready to be useful.

These might be used like so:

    jIQuchrup.  HIQuchmoH!
    I'm ready to be happy.  Make me happy!

    Duj chenmoHlu'taHvIS jomaj lo'lu'chu'taH.  tagha' lI'beH Duj.
    While the ship was under construction it was using up our resources.
The ship is finally ready to be useful.

SuStel
Stardate 4493.1

Back to archive top level