tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 26 14:54:48 2004

Re: Labelling things...

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Steven Boozer wrote:
> If the plant is edible, call it a {naH}:

Is "lucky bamboo" edible?  ;)

>    I have come to accept that if you eat it, it is {naH}. If it is a plant and
>    you don't eat it, it is {tI}. Perhaps {tI} includes {naH} as a subset.
>
> although some people think it is a generic term for flora (e.g. the
> planet's vegetation is dying).

Yeah, I see "vegetation" and I think an ecosystem-scale thing.  So I was
thinking maybe /tIHom/ could be "a single plant", or at the very least, a
single species, perhaps.  Interesting.

> I've always used {SeHlaw} "control panel, console": {De'wI' SeHlaw}.

Yeah, I can't believe I didn't think of that one.

> >speakers (/wab lIngwI'/ maybe?)
>
> Hurgh once used *{chuSwI'} < {chuS} "be noisy".

Heehee.  Hmm, I'll have to flip a coin as to which I like best.  I like
/wab lIngwI'/ for "speakers" maybe I'll keep /chuSwI'/ around for "slang".
:)

> Purely for laughs, in "Star Trek: Generations" we heard one of the Duras
> sisters say *Du'cha* subtitled "On speakers!"

Hmm.  /cha'/ means "show, display"...  /QoymeH cha'wI'/ could be
interesting...

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
              "No matter where you go, there you are."

Back to archive top level