tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 23 07:48:28 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: qeD (v)

>From: "QeS lagh" <[email protected]>
>
>Okay, what I was looking for were opinions rather than canon evidence. BTW,
>what's your take on {qI'}, SuStel? (I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm
>genuinely interested. I want to try and get as many opinions as possible.)

My take may change, depending on my mood, the style of the writing, the
seriousness of the project, and so on.

Generally, I would probably use {qI'} to refer to signing a letter or a
picture, as well as a treaty.  It would include any situation where someone
signifies his approval with some token of his identity.  This is my best
interpretation, not my belief that I am right.

     QIn vIqI'meH 'oHDaq pongwIj vIghItlh.

>jIghItlhtaH:
> >For instance, {ghor} means "surface (of a planet)"; we've come to the
> >conclusion that likely not all spheres have a {ghor}, only astronomical
> >bodies.
>
>jang SuStel:
> >*WE*'ve come to this conclusion?  We who?
>
>Agreed, I may have presumed a bit on this one, but when I originally asked
>this question some months ago, both ghunchu'wI' and, IIRC, Holtej
>(jImujchugh, HIlughmoH), both vetoed the sentence {taj moQ ghor
>ghItlhlu'pu'
>'ej qeylIS qab cha'} "the surface of the dagger's pommel (sphere) is
>engraved with Kahless's face", and Quvar also said that {ghor} was unlikely
>to refer to anything other than an astronomical body. I hadn't heard any
>argument from anyone, so I assumed (dangerous, I know) that that was the
>consensus. I still have a slight habit of taking the word of {po'wI'pu'} as
>gospel, unfortunately.

Your "consensus" was based on the statements of those who (1) happened to be
paying attention, (2) decided to respond, (3) are on this list at all, and
(4) are considered by you to be experts.  That's a very narrow consensus.

Everyone!  This is very important!  YOU MUST THINK FOR YOURSELVES WHEN
LEARNING KLINGON!  Don't ask the experts for every detail; they usually
don't know any more than you do.  An expert is an expert not because he has
gleaned knowledge of vocabulary, but because he can SPEAK KLINGON.  Do not
be afraid to make your own interpretations about things we don't have solid
information on.  Do not be afraid to disagree with the majority on this
list.  Listen to how people USE the language, then make your own decisions.
And be prepared to interact with people who use it differently than you.

SuStel
Stardate 4560.2