tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 11 18:41:04 2004

Re: moHaq nap, moHaq Qatlh ghap

In a message dated 2004-07-11 2:02:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:
> chojangbe'pu'mo'
> jIghelqa':  chay' moHaqmey Daqelbogh nap law' latlh nap puS?  chay' <ma->
> nap law' <Da-> nap puS?  HIchuH.

I used 'simple' for the prefixes without an object because to me those
prefixes are semantically simpler, having only one semantic role (subject) to play,
while prefixes with objects play two semantic roles (subject and object), so
they are 'complex'.

> yIqIm! yIbuS! "Pay attention and concentrate" is not ambiguous.  DaH yIDIl!
> "Pay now" is not ambiguous.  There is no object in the sentence.

When you translate them that way there is no object, but the glosses for
{buS} and {DIl}
are "concentrate on, focus on, think only about" and "pay for".  So equally
accurate translations might be "Pay attention and concentrate on it" and "Pay
for it now".  In both cases the prefix {yI-} is ambiguous.

> You didn't communicate that list of prefixes in your question.  You asked
> for examples with a "no-object prefix".  Are you now going to consider
> {yI-}?

I suppose I should have said "exclusively no-object prefix" or given the list
of those prefixes which I was considering, but I didn't realize that I wasn't
being clear.  And no, I'm not going to use {yI-}.

> Your list included {moH}.  You didn't ask about "exert influence on".

I think I was unaware of the details of how the two different {moH} verbs are
used when I made the original list.

> If you gave some clue about *why* you're asking, maybe someone could give
> you an answer more to your liking.

Apparently so.  I thought it was a fairly simple question at the time, though.

> wejpuH.  Hol De' Datlhobqa'mo' 'ej qaQeHqa'moH vIneHbe'mo' qajang.  QaHwIj
> DalajHa'mo' mu'tlheghvam vIQulta'meH poHwIj DalI'Ha'moH.  Hol De'Hom
> Datlhobqa'DI' qajangqangqa' 'e' yIpIHQo'.

I don't know what help of yours I rejected.  Sorry.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level