tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 10 19:42:51 2004

Re: mu' 'oH'a' <chuv>'e'?

Teresh000 ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

ghItlh QeS lagh:
ghItlhpu' Philip:
>TKD lists {chuv} only as a verb - to be left over. Can it also be used
>as a singular noun?

As SuStel has pointed out, we don't know. The fact that only the plural form
is in the dictionary hints to me that there might be no singular form, but
until we get a clarification, we can't be sure.

>If not, how to refer to such a word? {chuvbogh mu'}? {chuvmey mu'}?

I wouldn't have a problem with {chuvmey mu'}; if you say that, it's clear
that you're talking about the grammatical category, so it's unambiguous.

{chuvmey mu' 'oH mu' {tlhIH}'e'}

I have used the word {chuvwI'}; since this is legally derived from the
verb {chuv}, I think it's valid enough. However, I used it to mean
"remainder", not the singular of the grammatical term.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level